The Original HL II
The story of the Lambach HL II starts at the annual Whitsuntide Flying Festival at Groningen airport in the year 1936. Because of the supremacy of the Germans, several leading Dutch industrials and prominent sport pilots got the funds for a Dutch aerobatics airplane. At the same time the young Delft engineer Hugo Lambach had made some sketches for such an airplane, and with this assignment he could realize his dream. The production work started in January 1937 and it took only five and a half months to build the biplane. After her maiden flight on May 2, the test pilot Schmidt Crans praised the excellent flight characteristics. At the 1937 Whitsuntide Flying Festival, just two weeks after its maiden flight, the newly built Lambach aircraft achieved a marvelous third place in this competition. However, this fortune did not last for too long. In the morning of May 10 1940, at the start of World War II, the aircraft was destroyed during German bombing raids at Ypenburg airfield, near The Hague. Only a set of drawings survived.
In the spring of 1989, the Society of Aerospace Students ‘Leonardo da Vinci’ was looking for an activity for its 9th lustrum. After some research, the decision was made to rebuild the HL II. The complete set of original drawings was copied and the component production was started. This was shortly followed by the production of the wooden wings and the welding of the steel tube airframe. The Military Aviation Museum in Soesterberg made the engine at our disposal, which had to be completely overhauled. The students attended to all aspects of aircraft manufacturing and were supported by the many advices of Mr. De Koo, the former chief-engineer. The built was completed after 5 years of hard work of TU Delft students. On a nice spring-day, 24th April 1995, the airplane was presented to the public with the original name of “Lambach HL II”. To those present, more than 600 people, the sound of the running Gipsy Major was a great experience.
The Lambach is currently stationed in the main hangar of the Early Birds Society (Stichting Vroege Vogels) at Lelystad airport (EHLE). On March 26st 2017, the official transfer took place of the ownership and projects related to the Lambach HL II to the Early Birds society. Their goal is to have the Lambach up and flying again and maintaining this wonderful piece of Dutch aviation history. Lambach Aircraft will continue to support the Early Birds Society and provide assistance to get the aircraft up and flying again. More info on the current state of the project can be found on the website of the Early Birds Society.
|Year and place of fabrication:||1989-1995, Delft|
|Type:||Lambach HL II|
|Wing span:||8.00 meter|
|Empty weight:||4590 N (468 kg)|
|Maximum take-off weight:||6080 N (620 kg)|
|Stall speed:||43 KIAS (80 km/h)|
|Cruise speed (VA):||110 KIAS (204 km/h)|
|Maximum speed (VNE):||145 KIAS (269 km/h)|
|Maximum G-load:||-2.9 / +5.8|
|Operating ceiling:||6000 ft MSL|
|Minimum take-off distance:||200 meter|
|Minimum landing distance:||300 meter|
|Engine:||Gipsy Major Mk. 1|
|Builder:||De Havilland Engine Co. Ltd.|
|Serial number:||95121 A 444646|
|Fuel:||AVGAS / MOGAS|
|Type:||Two-bladed, wooden propeller with fixed pitch|
|Serial number:||Poncelet – 90106 D 663 P458|